It’s officially the first day of spring so what better time than now to share this gorgeous Domini Kemp lamb recipe with you. Not only that, but there’s a bonus salad recipe so we can all look forward to the salad days ahead. Domini made this recently on the Today Show on RTE and, needless to say, it’s very tasty, very healthy and easy to prepare. We hope you enjoy it!
LAMB SHOULDER WITH CHICKPEA SALAD
INGREDIENTS (serves 4-6)
- 1 shoulder of lamb
- 1 head garlic, left whole, skin on
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- Squeeze of honey
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp each fennel and cumin seeds
- Shoulder of lamb, shredded
- 1 Chinese cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, finely sliced
- 1 pack feta, roughly broken into cubes
- 100ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- big squeeze of honey
- salt and pepper
- large bunch of mint, finely chopped
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C degrees. Wrap the joint tightly in tinfoil – two layers if you can – and place in a roasting tin and roast for 3-4 hours, until it’s falling away from the bone.
- Halfway through cooking, take it out of the oven and turn the joint over, season well, including the honey and fennel seeds, and then place it back in the oven.
- When it’s done, let it cool, remove the bone and shred the meat, which will have a moreish caramelised finish in places.
- If, however, it’s too fatty at this stage, put it back in the oven for another 40 minutes or so, without foil to let the fat render off.
- For a simple roast dinner, serve with crispy potatoes, roasted carrots and parsnips, and gravy. If you can resist eating the whole lot and happen to have some left for the next day, try the salad below.
- Grill the lamb until sticky and crisp.
- Toast the chickpeas on a tray in the oven for about 15 minutes with a little olive oil, some salt and pepper, and the fennel and cumin seeds. Leave aside to cool.
- Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients together and adding the finely chopped mint at the end.
- To assemble the salad, toss all the ingredients together with the dressing.