This week we feature two recipes, one from Domini and one from her eight-year-old daughter, Maeve. They appeared together on RTE’s Today show with Dáithí Ó Sé and Maura Derrane over the mid-term break and prepared two gorgeous dishes, both of which are perfect for those with a sweet tooth but which are healthier than other recipes.
Domini’s Banana Bread
There are lots of banana bread recipes, but this one is a slightly healthier version: a little less sugar, more nuts. It's also suitable if you can't eat wheat and if you swap out the butter for coconut oil, it's also dairy-free.
Domini adds: “I actually find this recipe very sweet, so feel free to reduce the sugar down to 50g. All depends on your taste!”
- (12 thickish slices)
- 60g coconut oil or butter
- 4 over-ripe bananas (about 540g)
- 2 eggs
- 100g coconut palm sugar
- 100g coconut flour
- 100g ground almonds
- generous pinch of salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon (more if you like it)
- scrape fresh nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 100g chopped walnuts
- Soften the butter (or melt the coconut oil) and mix (or blend) it together with the eggs and the bananas before adding in the coconut sugar and mixing thoroughly.
- Next, in a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients except the walnuts. Then add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix well before folding in the nuts.
- To cook it, grease and line a loaf tin and empty in the mixture. It will be pretty cement-like, but don’t worry. Bake at 170C for 50 minutes until a skewer will come out of it clean. Leave to cool before removing from the tin.
Maeve's Chocolate, Cashew and Chia Bites
Chia seeds are full of nutrients, fibre and contain protein and omega 3s! It is also suggested that bee pollen is anti-inflammatory and boosts immune function. It's a mixture of bee saliva, nectar and pollen.
Dark choc: fibre, copper, magnesium and other nutrients! But the higher the percentage the less sugar, so aim for 85%.
Cashews packed with the vitamins and nutrients essential to good health.
You will need one baking tray + 1 sheet of greaseproof paper + 1 spatula
- 200 g dark chocolate (preferably 85%) melted
- 200 g cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp bee pollen
- Stir the cashew nuts into melted chocolate and using a fork, take out small clumps and put them on the baking sheet.
- Before they cool down, sprinkle with toppings.
- Chill for an hour in the fridge. Enjoy!