This week we have a lovely low-carb salad for summer taken from Domini's best-selling The Ketogenic Kitchen. It does have feta, but you can replace that with a non-dairy cheese if you prefer.
Domini says: "I love Greek salad but really love the way this one is a bit more robust with the cumin in it. Red wine vinegar also works instead of the lemon juice."
- 1 green pepper
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 120 ml olive oil
- 120 g good black olives (approx 12-15 stoned olives)
- 100 g feta, crumbled
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 red onion, very finely sliced
- Bunch mint, roughly chopped
- Punnet cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Approx 150 g mixed leaves
- If you have a gas hob, stick the green pepper over a gas flame and char the skin. Alternatively you can rub the skin with a little oil and grill under a hot grill. Either way, remove the skin or be lazy and leave it on. Slice it finely.
- Toast the cumin seeds in a frying pan for a minute or two until you start to get a good roast smell from them. Allow them to cool slightly and then whisk together the cumin, oregano, lemon juice and olive oil. Season well and add a pinch caster sugar if the dressing is too sharp.
- Toss the salad leaves with a little dressing and then layer up the other salad ingredients. Drizzle some more dressing on top and serve straight away.
We hope you love it and that there's some sunshine to go with it this weekend!